Kathey Marsden wrote:

I still need to think a lot about the whole major version boundary
thing.  It seems like we like solaris will be set at the same major
version for a very long time.   As I stated before I think for some
things a time based approach seems most appropriate. You can expect your
client to work with new servers for the next five years for example. We
should  not just leave users trying to figure out how to upgrade  their
server and all of their clients all in one night because we  bumped from
10 to 11.
This is quite puzzling. I've never worked for an engineering operation which could make this five-year guarantee. Personally, I don't know anyone who has this kind of foresight. Five years is the classic lifetime of a complex product before it needs an incompatible overhaul/rewrite. What happens to the clients released in the last year of that usable lifetime? Please provide more detail here.