Prior versions of the JDBC specification were not clear or concise as to what a developer and or a user could expect.  This as a JDBC driver developer while at Sybase i found extremely frustrating.

These methods have been in the JDBC spec since 1.0.   We will not be removing them from the spec and just because something is deprecated, it does not mean that it should not be implemented or ignored.  It just means that there are alternative methods that are recommended.   Also in my working with the Java SE team, they discourage deprecating methods via the javadoc tag as it adds unnecessary noise at compile time where as a simple note in the spec/javadoc can point users to the preferred method.

As far as your question below, it is impossible to determine what methods are and are not required from the JDBC 3.0 specification.  This is something that i have addressed in JDBC 4.0.

-lance

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
Lance J. Andersen wrote:

Very simple, just because it is deprecated, it does not mean it can be
ignored.  Bottom line, it is required to be there.

According to which section of JDBC 3.0?

Dan.