Thanks, Knut. I sync'd with the mainline and the problem has gone away. My tests now run cleanly. Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread. I received a lot of valuable advice.

Regards,
-Rick

Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
Rick Hillegas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Thanks, Knut. Increasing the max PermGen size got the tests past the
out-of-memory-error. They then hung on test case 8515 out of 8520, in
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.replicationTests.ReplicationRun_Local_StateTest_part1.
interrupted the tests with "kill -quit" as you recommended. I'm
attaching the console output.

Hi Rick,

From looking at the output, I would guess that one of the replication
tests misses something in the clean-up, and that makes subsequent
replication tests fail or hang.

I think Øystein disabled those tests in revision 635575. Do you still
see the hang after updating your source tree?

By the way, is it normal that a single process has seven threads named
derby.AntiGC? Does that mean that there are seven instances of the
embedded driver in the same JVM?