Thanks to everyone for the discussion so far. I have looked more closely at what is actually happening in JIRA and the branches. It seems to me that the community has been following two different approaches for managing release ids:

1) The approach followed by 10.1 and 10.2.

2) The approach followed by 10.3 and 10.4.

I prefer the first approach. I would like to summarize its features:

a) Any committer can bump the 4th digit of the release id without initiating a community discussion. This lets people create new patch distributions with unique release ids that distinguish them from community releases.

b) When the release manager publishes a new official release, the 4th digit of the release id is bumped on the branch. The meaning of the branch id is "the next (unofficial) patch distribution produced on this branch." At the same time, a new release id is added to JIRA. The meaning of this new JIRA release id is "the next official release on this branch". This release id is even further advanced: its 3rd digit is bumped.

Here is what I am seeing today:

Branch Latest Official Release Current Release ID on Branch Highest JIRA (next official) Release ID

10.1 10.1.3.1 10.1.3.3 10.1.4.0

10.2 10.2.2.0 10.2.2.1 10.2.3.0

10.3 10.3.3.0 10.3.3.1 10.3.3.1

10.4 10.4.2.0 10.4.2.1 10.4.2.1

I propose that we adopt (1) as our policy going forward. If the community agrees, then I propose to bring JIRA's "next" ids for 10.3 and 10.4 into agreement with this policy:

i) rename the next official 10.3 release to be 10.3.4.0

ii) rename the next official 10.4 release to be 10.4.3.0

Here are the practical consequences of this policy for Myrna when she publishes a 10.5.1.2 release:

iii) she will bump the release id on the 10.5 branch to be 10.5.1.3

iv) she will add a new release id to JIRA: 10.5.2.0

Does this sound OK?