On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Rick Hillegas <richard.hille...@sun.com> wrote:

> I prefer the first approach. I would like to summarize its features:
>
> a) Any committer can bump the 4th digit of the release id without initiating
> a community discussion. This lets people create new patch distributions with
> unique release ids that distinguish them from community releases.

+1 - I also think that any committer should feel free to bump the
fourth version whenever they feel like it.

On a side note, there's nothing to say you can't still build snapshots
if you want to share with the dev list what you built. You just
shouldn't publicize it elsewhere.

> b) When the release manager publishes a new official release, the 4th digit
> of the release id is bumped on the branch. The meaning of the branch id is
> "the next (unofficial) patch distribution produced on this branch." At the
> same time, a new release id is added to JIRA. The meaning of this new JIRA
> release id is "the next official release on this branch". This release id is
> even further advanced: its 3rd digit is bumped.

+1. I think the lack of a "next" JIRA ID for 10.3 and 10.4 is simply
oversight, I know I forgot to add 10.3.4.0 after releasing 10.3.3.0.
I've gone ahead and added them. I will update item 13 in the release
instructions to be clear that two new versions need to be added at the
end of the process.

andrew