Kathey and Dag Wanvik* *:
Thanks to your help on GSOC, I have made some progress these days, now
asking for more infomation.

What have I done:

1. I have checked out the code, and done some hacking with the instructions
on wiki provided by you. Now, I have built my environment on Eclipse.

2. Downloaded db-derby-10.4.2.0-bin.zip, covered the Derby tutorial, did
some sql test on ij, and found a bugger in it, which I will mention below.

3. I have created my JIRA account, and been assigned some issues to , i.e.
 DERBY-3991 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3991>,
DERBY-3853<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3853> and
DERBY-2769 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2769>. I have
provided patches for them, but not got much reply until now, maybe as it's
weekend now. Besides, I planned to accept
DERBY-3941<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3941> after
getting comments from the issue creator. There are some more issues I feel
interested, but not able to do at this moment as lack of related knowledge,
:).

As I have learned Database and familiar with java development on Eclipse,
it's not hard to get familiar with the source code as I imagined. The most
important reason is that, documents for DERBY is very detailed and helpful
for new comers.

What I wonder:

1. About a bug in 'Step 4: Derby Network Server' of 'DERBY Turial'(
http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/ns_intro.html).
There is a redundant inclusion on derby.jar for configuring environment to
start or stop the Network Server. I have make a diff file, but don't know
whether it's suitable to create a new issue for a URL, so I attach it with
this letter, and wish for adopting.

2. How many students will be accepted by DERBY this year? I have seen
there were 3 on 2008 on WIKI, is this year too? And how many applicants
until now?

3. As I have some lab stuff to deal with before summer, I will do my
contribution mainly on weekends, just like this week. Is that OK?

4. I'm interested in both 'derby-testandfix ' and
'derby-dblook-authorization', and the latter can also be considered as a
form of 'fix'. I want to apply  for ''derby-dblook-authorization'', does
my  existing  work support my application on it ?

5. Is it proper for me to submit my application now ? Or is there still
anything else I need do before apply?

Wish for your reply! Thanks!

Regards
Yun