Von: Rick Hillegas [mailto:rick.hille...@oracle.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 17. Juli 2012 17:11
An: derby-user@db.apache.org
Betreff: Re: schema-questions

Hi Malta,

One general issue: I see that you are trying to use BUILTIN authentication.
Note that BUILTIN authentication is not production-quality. It is appropriate
only for testing/development purposes. In 10.9.1 we introduced NATIVE
authentication, a production-quality replacement for BUILTIN. You are
encouraged to upgrade to 10.9.1 and to use NATIVE authentication instead.
Hopefully, you will find that NATIVE authentication is easier to administer
than BUILTIN was.

Some more comments inline...

On 7/17/12 7:44 AM, malte.kem...@de.equens.com wrote:
> hi to all,
> I am using derby (10.8)  with tomcat and used following side helping
> me seitting them up:
> http://www.zetcode.com/db/apachederbytutorial/tomcat/
> Trying to build up a simple web-application where you could register
> as user etc. I have following schema *CREATE SCHEMA USER_STUFF;
> CREATE TABLE USERS(  name           VARCHAR(100) PRIMARY KEY
>                    , hatchi         VARCHAR(40)
>                    , email          VARCHAR(100)
>                    , imagename      VARCHAR(100)
>                    , tstmp_in       TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT
> CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
>                    , tstmp_up       TIMESTAMP
>                   );*
> now I am wondering that when I connect myself as a user the name of
> the schema's name is equal to the user's name.
> If I don't use any user my schema's name seems to be the default
> schema name "APP".
> I thought using the first line of my sql script produces a schema
> named USER_STUFF.
> What is happening here, what am I doing wrong?
Yes, the first command creates a schema called USER_STUFF owned by the APP
user. However, that command does not change your session to use the new
USER_STUFF schema. To change your default schema, you need to use this command:

set schema USER_STUFF;
> Another thing I am wondreing is, that it seems not to matter using a
> user or not using following derby.properties, though:
> *derby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0
> derby.database.fullAccessUsers=tech
> derby.database.defaultConnectionMode=readOnlyAccess
> derby.connection.requireAuthentication=true
> derby.user.tech=lala_dongs
> derby.user.rou=gaga_bings*
> **
> *derby.authentication.provider=builtin*
> derby seems not to use my derby.proerties. I have put them to the
> directory, which is given in the derby.system.home Java-system-property.
> It is told to put this system-property into the environment variable
> JAVA_OPTS, so tomcat would use it for starting up.
> I am using  Windows-XP so I defined ths environment-variable in the
> dialog as user defined variable.
> What am I missing, since derby.properties seem not to work may be not
> even been read.
I'm afraid I don't have any theories here. Maybe someone who uses Tomcat on
Windows can give some advice.

Hope this helps,
-Rick