Hi Malte,

On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 13:44 +0200, malte.kem...@de.equens.com wrote:
> Hi Tim
> My JAVA_OPS look like that, when I use set command:
> JAVA_OPTS=-Dderby.system.home=c:\derby-dbs

That looks reasonable.

> I suppose that the JAVA_OPTS are recognized by derby in my particular
> case. Otherweise I would not understand why derby produces and writes
> and reads from the given directory.
> It is a bit of unexplainable to me, since today it works with
> following ij call
> java %JAVA_OPTS% -Dij.protocol=jebc:derby: -jar %DERBY_HOME
> %/lib/derbyrun.jar ij
> ij> connect
> 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/testdb;create=true;user=tralla;password=duddeldi';
> Here I get the expected error now:
> FEHLER 08004: Die Verbindung konnte nicht authentifiziert werden.
> Ursache: Die Benutzer-ID oder das Kennwort ist ung³ltig.
>

> Yesterday it did not work neither via ij nor within tomcat. Always it
> did not matter whether the right password or user was set or not.

It would be very difficult to figure out exactly what actually happened
between yesterday and today from a few sketchy details.  It probably
doesn't matter much at this point.

> Using tomcat I still get that ignoring of derby.properties,

Did you try invoking test.jsp from my last post?  That would tell you if
the running instance of Tomcat had a JAVA_OPTS and derby.system.home
passed through to it.

> at least the password I am using seems not to matter at all
> Here my entry in context.xml for tomcat similar to the recommanded one
> I found in http://www.zetcode.com/db/apachederbytutorial/tomcat/
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <Context>
>     <Resource name="jdbc/testdb"
>               auth="Container"
>               type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>               username="tech"
>               password="schnaddel"
>               driverClassName="org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver"
>               url="jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/testdb"
>               maxActive="10"
>               maxIdle="4"/>
>
> </Context>
>
> The right password is supposed to be something else , but it works :-D
> (?!)
>
> By the way (sorry for asking such a question of beginners :-)):
> Using the web-app of derby (Derby Network Server) there is the option
> to change max amount of threads and thread time slices.
> What does that mean exactly? Could that interfere with the definition
> of DataSource within context.xml, or is that something totally
> different?

See
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/adminguide/tadminconfiguringthenetworkserver.html

Lastly, let me point out that there is absolutely NO requirement to run
the Derby war in order to use Derby from a web application.  You could
just as easily run the Derby Network Server in a separate process or use
an embedded Derby engine.  Just wanted to point that out so you and
others aware of the possibilities.