Hi Ron, :-)

I took the liberty of posting my answer to the Design mailing list as
well, as we want to keep all the guys in the loop about this. ;-)

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 13:26, Ron Carter <ron.car...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, David, I have never worked with a Wiki before, but I got pages set up
> for banner and avatar/icon proposals.

My proposal would be to upload all your files there, if that's OK with
you, and then give me a heads-up here on the list and also by off-list
mail (to make sure I see your post - I don't always follow the Design
list closely).

I'll definitely post all your work on the libreoffice.org site, as I
mentioned before, but would just like to see a green light from
Christoph and the guys, beforehand, in case any slight alterations are
requested. If they don't respond after a few days then I'll take it as
a go.

> Although I have done advertising work (copy, logos, layout, etc.) and have
> promoted software before, I have never worked on an Open Source project.
>
> I guess (more) feedback on what is expected/needed for the banners (What
> sizes?  I just did a 120x240 vertical banner for kicks and put it up in banner
> section of the Wiki, for instance.) and avatars would be nice, at least for
> me.
>
> I saw the message that made the suggestion that there should be "official"
> avatars and "supporter" avatars.  Is this to be pursued?
>
> As you know, working at 64x64/48x48/32x32 has its own design challenges,
> so if there are some "best practices" that someone wants followed, it would
> be nice to know them.
>
> As an example: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:120x240_banner_01a.png
>
> From a design standpoint, it works for me, but is doing a sideways layout
> acceptable?  Should we pursue making the LibreOffice document icon, well,
> iconic?

Personally, I love it! And it's a very useful variant to have, IMHO.

> Ex: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:64x64_Fanc.png
>
> If so, then I have a pitch on changing that icon to something slightly
> different.

I like this one, too.