Hi Bernard, Drew:

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I /really/
appreciate your help! I've tried to answer your questions inline below.
I still have a few of my own.

On 02/06/2011 03:57 PM, Bernhard Dippold wrote:
> Hi Jeff, *
>
> Jeff Chimene schrieb:
>> Hi Folks:
>>
>> I'm hoping someone can help w/ this request. I'd like to get a 5' wide
>> banner for the SCALE event in California at the end of this month.
>>
>> Is there an official logo that's at least 600dpi resolution?
>
> Please have a look at the  branding wiki page:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Resources

Got it. Thanks

Drew: I'm thinking this image:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice-Initial-Artwork-Colors_Guidelines_Valid1.png

> The largest exported PNG version is 2000px width (while you need
> 5x600=3000px), but you can use Inkscape with the source file linked
> there to export larger versions too.

Hi Bernard:

Is that the image here?
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice-Initial-Artwork-Colors_Guidelines_Valid1.png

If not, where do I find it? I can scale it via Gimp.

The printer is named "VistaPrint"

It looks like the best resolution I can get with them is 75 dpi (see below)

> Especially with posters and banners please remember to include the
> necessary white space area around the logo in your design.

Right (see below re: full bleed)

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Banner_Rough_Ideas_fromcornouws.png

> What size do you need?

Full Bleed Size (starting document size)
71.80" x 30.20"
1824mm x 767mm
5385 x 2265 pixels

yield:
Document Trim Size (final size after being cut)
71.53" x 30.00"
1817mm x 762mm
5365 x 2250 pixels

I realize the DPI is not what I spoke to originally. This is actually
fewer dpi (75) I was under the impression that VistaPrint could produce
a high-res banner. Apparently that's not the case. I do have a printer
in Tucson that can do hi res, but it will be about 3 or 4 times the
VistaPrint cost.

I'd like some feedback from you folks: do you want a 75 dpi banner, or
should we go for higher resolution (but more $) Personally, I think the
"LibreOffice-Initial-Artwork-Colors_Guidelines_Valid1.png" (if that's
the logo) will be OK at 75 dpi: graphic edges are straight, sans-serif
font. At a distance (> 6 feet), I think we can get by for a trade show.
If we buy by 10-Feb, we get a free banner which has the following
dimensions:

Full Bleed Size (starting document size)
35.70" x 20.20"
907mm x 513mm
2678 x 1515 pixels

Document Trim Size (final size after being cut)
35.50" x 20.00"
902mm x 508mm
2662 x 1500 pixels

Again, 75 dpi, but up close (< 3 ft) it should be OK.

> Cor used a enlarged version of the installer image for FOSDEM, but there
> have been some other proposals in the past...

Is that image available?

>> Of course I'm under a deadline: I'd like to order the banner by close of
>> business 10-Feb-2011
>
> Quite short, but I think this should be possible.
>
> Do you already know if your printer can use a bitmap or a SVG vector
> graphic and RGB colors?

The acceptable formats are:

Adobe Acrobat 9 Document (*.pdf) (recommended)
Adobe Illustrator CS3 Artwork (*.ai) (recommended)
Adobe Photoshop CS3 Image (*.psd) (recommended)
Bitmap Image (*.bmp)
CorelDRAW X4 Document (*.cdr,*.clk)
GIF Image (*.gif)
JPEG Image (*.jpg,*.jpeg)
Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 Document (*.ppt,*.pptx)
Microsoft Publisher 2010 Document (*.pub)
Microsoft Word 2010 Document (*.doc,*.docx)
PCX Image (*.pcx)
PICT Image (*.pic,*.pict,*.pct)
PNG Image (*.png)
PostScript Document (*.ps)