>> Even if I also use special characters a lot, I think that this request
>> is best suited for an extension than for a core feature.
I am not sure if I agree with that, but I will happily settle with an extension
:-)

> I would like to help draft a specifications for this. I think the mock
> up is a good visual start.
>
> Any thoughts? Who would we forward the specifications?

That would be great! I can also 'help'. I have never drafted any specifications
so I am not sure what it entails but I can follow instructions pretty well...

Here is another mockup that I made. http://flic.kr/p/9AxzF9 It shows what I
envision happens when someone clicks on the special character toolbar button.
The table of symbols looks a little large because I basically used the current
dialog box but we can decrease the size a little bit in the working version.
For comparison, here's what the font color chooser looks like currently
http://flic.kr/p/9AxCzu