> I'm thinking now on something more "complex", a sort of evolution from
> ComposeSpecialCharacter extension that can be called QuickSymbol:
> suppose a menu where you can select your more used symbols, put them
> on a table and assign to them an "alias", something like b for β, etc.
> Now, suppose that this QuickSymbol have a keyboard shortcut assigned,
> something like Alt+C: then, if you in the text type b and them press
> Alt+C the b is replaced by β. The main advantage from Compose... is,
> clearly, the ability to choose your own preferred symbols and to
> choose your preferred alias, so you do not need to rely on a
> predefined and not possible to edit replacement table full of symbols
> that you probably do not need.
> What do your think?

Your idea is definitely more quicker than going to a menu and clicking on
buttons. In fact, my current workaround to insert frequently used symbols
quickly into a text is by utilizing the AutoCorrect options. The
ComposeSpecialCharacter and QuickSymbol approaches, although more specialized,
sound similar to the AutoCorrect method.

But the problem with those approaches is that the user is required to remember
shortcuts and these features may be a little hard to discover. We still keep
the Cut/Copy/Paste/Undo/Redo buttons in spite of their popularity, right?