I work as a translator in multilingual documents. I would agree that the
language in the status bar is very useful.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Francois Nifenecker [mailto:jean-francois.nifenec...@laposte.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:10 PM
To: design@global.libreoffice.org
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-design] questions about the status bar

Hi,

Le 15/04/2012 22:38, Andrew Pullins a écrit :

> *For writer*
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/1/1e/New-libreoffice-writer
> -statusbar-v1.png

[...]

> Language... why do we need to tell people what language they are in.
> there has never been a moment in my life where I had forgotten what
> language I speak and read. i guess this could be useful for people who
> speak different languages, but then again it does not take that long
> to recognize that the words on the screen are not English. when I see
> Spanish, German, or Swedish I do not wander if it is English. now I
> would not see the difference between German and Swedish, but I could
> see that it is definitely not English. so why is it even there?

Nope. I can write EN text with the FR language defined for character
formatting. The language (format) information is thus very important.
I'd like to keep that in the status bar. Very useful for people writing
multi-language documents (translators, international organizations members).

> *For draw/impress*
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/3/33/Current_LO_draw_impress_status_bar.png
>
> object description. is this a description like "shape" or "line". if so do
> we need this.

Yes: disambiguation.

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux