On 20/02/2016 15:44, Tim wrote:

> Here is the text from the Unifont web site [reformated for this email].

I only had unifont 7.x.ttf installed, where "x" is the digits I don't
remember.  (I've since deleted it, and installed all four.)

I've since installed the 8.x fonts.  I'll play with them later this week.

Same basic issue: only one weight, and one typeface, though.

> I do not have the 14+ GB fonts installed.

I did that on a laptop running both Linux and Win7. It took me a couple
of weeks to figure out why windows performance was so pathetic,
especially in comparison to Linux.

> For me, I do not know how many font names I have since most of them have
> several TTF/OTF files for the bold/italic/etc. styles.

You don't use a font organizer?
OTOH, none of the font organizers for Linux I've come across, will walk
specific directories in which one stores uninstalled fonts.

> that I use for making signs and posters for a few not-for-profit groups and
> organizations.

Specific use-case exception.