On Aug 4, 2016 1:43 AM, "Jos van den Oever" <j...@vandenoever.info> wrote:

> Hi Regina,
>
> Thanks for the elegant ODG test file.
>
> On Wednesday 03 August 2016 16:31:18 you wrote:
> > Jos, Thorsten, should we adapt the specification to the way LibreOffice
> > and Calligra do it? It would implicate, that the z-index need not be
> > unique over the whole document, but only locally on the level.
>
> Yes we should propose it. This is how it works in CSS and XSL-FO and ODF
> should be the same and at least LO and Calligra implementations work like
how
> CSS and XSL-FO describe it.
>
> Many complicated cases of CSS do not apply to ODF, because in ODF
drawings,
> everything is positioned. One thing we need to specify is what
constitutes a
> stacking context in ODF. Is it just draw:g?
>
> ODF specification currently does not mention what the default z-index is.
> assume it is 0. In ODF, index is a non-negative integer. In CSS, it's an
> integer.
>
> I am wondering about the usefulness of z-index in ODF though. If z-index
is
> only local, one might just as well change the order of the elements in
their
> parent.
>
> In CSS, z-index is useful, because CSS is meant to style documents that
are
> independent of the CSS. CSS does not change the document it styles, but
it can
> modify the stacking order for styling purposes. In ODF, the z-index is
> directly on the elements and not on the style. So the question is: is
there
> meaning in the element order besides the stacking order?

Yes there is meaning in element order. According to the ODF specificatin,
elements without a z-index will render in the order they appear in the
document. What I'm not sure about, is that if there is an element without a
z-index in the middle of several elements with z-inices, will the element
render first,  last, or in the middle?