Hi Toki,

Thanks for making sense :)

In the CIE-HLC palette colours are ordered by Hue - Lightness - Chroma in
increments of 10, e.g., HLC 000-00-10, HLC 000-00-20 etc. After some
experimentation we found that this model is the most user-friendly, compared to
the more common LCH or HCL (not to mention LAB), because it's much easier to
find a colour in the printed reference. Actually, it's much more efficient than
any other colour reference I've worked with, including Pantone and HKS. So yes,
it's *very* important for colours to be named, especially if you're working
with a physical colour reference.

It would be even better if the ODF spec could be extended to be able to store
named colours as an option.

As to the number of palettes, I'd suggest a basic palette, e.g. 128 or 256
colours plus CIE-HLC. As for the rest, the suggestion of using extensions
(plural) makes sense:

- one with all the palettes currently shipped with LO;

- another one with the Open Colour Systems Collection (more than 360; the
number of colours per file varies between a handful for foils and more than
5000 for car finishes; CC licence);

- I can also create SOC files from the palettes currently shipped with Scribus,
including various government standards (US, DE, NL, CA, UK; mostly Public
Domain or similar);

- Finally, I could also create SOC versions of all colour palettes provided by
the New Zealand colour vendor Resene. They are under a BSD-style licence, so
the distribution would be OK.

Unfortunately, I've no experience in building OXT files, so I'd need some
assistance or someone who'd do the building for me.

On a final note, I wonder why there is a file called "scribus.soc". These are
not the colours of any of Scribus's "native" palettes but the old X11 colours,
so the correct name would be "X11.soc".

Kind regards,
Christoph