Two things that make the new (old?) graphic really work are 1)The proximity
of the items in the background; the fact that Mimi & Eunice are standing
relatively close to trees and houses is why it doesn't feel like the
tundra, and 2)The plane in the sky. That small thing both dates and
populates the graphic; it tells you this is happening now, in our time, and
that there are other people around doing other things, which makes the
graphic feel bigger and more alive.

Jumping off of that idea; what if Mimi And Eunice were standing in Central
Park? I lived in NYC for a year, and one of my favorite experiences in that
city was to stand in the middle of central park, or any of the other large
city parks, and have woods immediately around me, but see the city rising
above the tree tops. Now, in Portland, I get a similar feeling when I hang
out on the beaches in Sellwood and can see Portland up the river, far off
in the distance. To me, inner city parks are some of the coolest and most
relevant physical commons in the world right now. Why not use that imagery
here?

"Free the Commons" is perfect. It's like a battle cry.