On 10/01/2015 01:58 PM, mray wrote:

> On 01.10.2015 20:00, Aaron Wolf wrote:

>>> My point is that they do conflict in my eyes.
>>> You want more wood which isn't a topical thing but "completes" a picture
>>> in your head. To me the whole "snow" theme has a point, while "forest
>>> and trees" does not. It is about stylistic consistency and focus on the
>>> message. The "emptiness" you notice is the same you will experience on
>>> the other mainly white pages, I want to anticipate that and be able to
>>> reference the landing page in style and in feeling later on when pages
>>> are more boring.
>>
>> Marginalia stuff does not fundamentally necessarily distract.
>
> In a snow-covered landscape they tend to do very quickly.
>
>> Depth is good. It is not important that 100% of everything be on the most
>> obvious
>> surface level. I'm not asking for trees and buildings to be surface
>> focus, I'm asking for the context to feel better. I'm not wanting
>> everything filled up either.
>>

> I just see how additional things water down our message.
>
>> I agree that we don't want the other pages to feel extremely sparse
>> compared to the landing page, but I really don't like the isolated
>> tundra feeling.

>>> When covered in snow everything is a "barren wasteland", and
>>> things that stick out *despite* the snow-cover steal focus instantly.
>>> Having more of everything makes it easier to have nice illustration but
>>> harder to get along a point (and harder to fit on different screen
>>> sizes, too).
>>
>> I'm not asking for "more of everything". I want very specific things, so
>> don't characterize my request as being insensitive to the value of
>> simplicity. I'm not suggesting just "more".
>>
>>> Let's not forget this isn't even about the snow - it is about *clearing
>>> the path*, destination and trees don't play a role.
>>
>> The idea of a path absolutely is connected to a sense of leading
>> somewhere.
>
> I'm with you here, that is why there is a house.
>
>> And trees that *frame* the path actually *increase* the
>> feeling of it being a path.
>
> And here you lost me. My point is: trees are not part of the metaphor.
> You want to throw in lots of them right in the middle just so that we
> have a more path-ish path. If the path needs to be more distinct I'd try
> other things first.
> I think the signpost and the lane markings on the road are enough.
>
>> These sorts of images push the center of
>> attention *super strongly* toward "path"
>> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tree-lined+path&t=canonical&iax=1&ia=images
>>
>> I'm not asking specifically for that sort of image, but the flatness of
>> the path against the flat ground background actually is failing to draw
>> out the feeling of a path as effectively as it should. The current image
>> has the path and the non-path ground way too similar.
>>
>> Adding trees around the path and off in the distance *increases* the
>> framing on the path if we do it right. As is, the path looks pretty
> [...]

I agree, I and/or someone else needs to figure out how to sketch better
representation of what I'm getting at. I agree our ideals are aligned
here. My biggest problem with what you wrote above is the idea of "a
house". I think a distant mountain or distant forest or distant city or
distant neighborhood with a bunch of houses… all of that seems like a
real place but vague and open to interpretation. The *single* house
doesn't get the social feeling across as well. I liked in earlier
illustrations where there were some houses way further and more shadowed.

I also felt that some of the earlier illustrations had a better sense of
snow due to more depth and shadow and such, so I just miss that, and the
new extra snow doesn't have enough sense of shadow and depth. I *think*
that's the issue.

Regarding trees and landscape, I think anything that breaks up the
flatness, even just hills in the distance and such like that would be
good. I just don't like the super flat feel.

I'll work on sketches maybe sometime soon.

Thanks for your patience with the feedback

--
Aaron Wolf
co-founder, Snowdrift.coop

--