On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 11:11 PM, Michael Siepmann <m...@techdesignpsych.com> wrote:

I'm thinking that in this super-short intro, it would be better to omit
any reference to a snowdrift. It's just too confusing, not necessary
enough, and doesn't help to engage people right away. People can find
out why we're called Snowdrift.coop later, but here they just need to
know, understand, and feel positive about and interested in the core of
what Snowdrift.coop is about.

As to the "free" qualifier discussion, I think it's absolutely critical
to remember that the overwhelming majority of the world has not the
faintest idea that a phrase like "free music" ever means anything other
than "music you don't have to pay for".

Very +1. When I talk with people about snowdrift, my biggest challenge is usually breaking them out of this assumption that music or software MUST be copyrighted, or if it isn't, the artist/programmer must not be getting paid for it.

It's not relevant here, but the best tool I have found so far is to liken it to contract photography. I contract with a professional photographer to get my picture taken, they get paid up front and they're happy with that money for the work, and then I'm free to reproduce and share the photos however I want (sometimes photographers keep the copyright, but not all do, and it's enough that people understand this is a business model that works better).

Here's an idea omitting the Snowdrift reference. I've done quite a bit
of other editing which I can explain if that would be helpful.

I also like this script.

SUGGESTION/

When music, software, movies, news, research, and so on, are released as
public goods, everyone can enjoy them freely, without limitations.

Does "public goods" have enough recognition that people will know what we're talking about with just that?
What about "unrestricted public goods"? Pros: Clarity. Cons: Redundancy.
No strong opinion, just wanted to put it out there.

But who will pay for them to be created?

Snowdrift.coop's pioneering crowdmatching platform empowers you to join
with others to fund the public goods /you/ want created.

You pledge to donate a tiny amount each month for each patron who
supports a project with you, within a budget you control.

Your donation is matched by the rest of the community, building
consensus that directs support to the most promising projects.

Join us in clearing the path to a free and open future!

Does "clearing the path" still make sense given that we don't mention a snowdrift any more?

/SUGGESTION

Both of these are nitpicks, make of them what you will.

Excitement building,
Stephen