On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 11:56 PM, Aaron Wolf <aa...@snowdrift.coop> wrote:
We're getting close!! We need to work on the last pre-sign-off line(s)
to solidify this thing.

I'm happy to suggest as a final draft for everything except the
second-to-last section.

SCRIPT:

1. Things like software, music, journalism, and research *can* be public
goods, freely used and shared by *everyone*.

2. But instead, publishers typically add restrictions in order to secure
funding.

3. Meanwhile, projects releasing their work under free and open terms
struggle.

4. To address this dilemma, we developed a new fundraising method we
call crowd**matching**.

5. Rather than donate alone, you pledge to make a monthly contribution
of 1 cent for every 10 patrons who give to the same project with you.

6. 1,000 patrons donating $1 is $1,000, but with 5,000 patrons at just
$5 each, a project would receive $25,000 a month!

7. ??? [see notes below; something mentioning budget (probably vague,
just giving idea that you can learn more reading the how-it-works page)
and emphasizing the positive qualities of the system as a whole]

8. Join Snowdrift.coop today, and help clear the path to a free and open
future!

---

Aaron's thoughts on 7:
    * goal: an inspiring and informative vision of the system overall
    * must mention budget
* avoid vague claims, buzzwords, marketing-speak in favor of factual
informative content
    * the vision can emphasize any of:
        * pledging to many projects
        * only donating much to those that have buy-in from others /
those projects "people value most" (consensus, avoiding fragmentation /
a few successful projects is better than many failing ones)
        * a budget where projects that get *too* popular get cut off
            * no time here but ideal impression of how this mediates
runaway growth, and a popular project doesn't *directly* cause the drop
of another project
* you have control to stay on-board with a super popular project
by either (A) dropping others or (B) increasing your budget
        * you can observe over time to favor those projects that make
the most impact (accountability)
        * your pledges are part of inviting others to pledge
        * providing sustainable, reliable salaries to project teams
    * we only have time for some of these things
* "directs your budget to most-valued" ideas are misleading in that
it only applies *before* hitting your limit. At your limit, projects
that get popular will be dropped first.
    *  To ensure people have a clear sense of budget or at least open
questions and not misunderstandings, these are the implications to avoid:
        * wrong: you always give your whole budget
* wrong: you can always keep donating without passing your limit
(effectively reneging on the matching pledge)
        * wrong: you can set a different budget for each project
    * we have at most about 15 seconds for whatever best compromise of
these things we can achieve

After more work today, the latest draft stands at:

```
1. Things like software, music, journalism, and research *can* be public goods, freely used and shared by *everyone*.

2. But instead, publishers typically add restrictions in order to secure funding.

3. Meanwhile, projects releasing their work under free and open terms struggle.

4. To enable the widespread cooperation needed to solve this dilemma, we developed a new fundraising method we call "crowdmatching".

5. To support a project, you pledge to donate 1 cent for every 10 patrons who give with you each month.

6. 1,000 patrons each put in a dollar, but with 5,000 patrons at 5 dollars, a project would get 25,000 dollars a month!

7. And your pledges stay active as long as they fit within your site-wide budget.

8. Join Snowdrift.coop today, and help clear the path to a free and open future!
```

I did a read-through and got 53.4 seconds.

We're almost at the point where we cannot afford to spend any more time on this. Perfect is the enemy of good, and whatnot. I am going to push for declaring it final during or immediately after tomorrow's meeting.