> Mike Kestner wrote:
>
> > My Gtk#-lite 2.16 binding would be allowed to break API in 2.18 as long
> >
> >as I make it parallel-installable, thereby breaking all existing
> >Gtk#-lite applications unless packagers provide Bindings release 2.16
> >with their 2.18 desktop
>
>    parallel-instabllable is the worst idea of software development.
> One ended with forked version of software and only create more
> maintaineable nightmare. We are all tremendous hackers/engineers,
> so stick to some good engineering principles :)

Huh?  Would you really want gtk+-2.x to use the same library name as
gtk+-1.x, breaking all gtk+-1.x apps?  It's not even close to the
worst idea.  It's actually a very good idea -- when not overused.  In
particular, combined with each version remaining stable,
parallel-installable is far better than just breaking API/ABI.