Following in comment #65 is not easily applicable to "Delete key" user.
  Button script for "copy/move selected messaages to FolderUserWants"
Key assignment change for "Delete Key" is needed, but it's not so easy even
thoogh the key assignment change is  simple job(it's merely a key assignment
change, but side efects etc. should be fully cared because Delete key.)

So, your own Toolbar button like next may be better for "Delete key" users.
  When clicked, store Trash attribute to your own trash,
  and if Gmail IMAP, register eventListener for the folder.
  When eventListener detects "removal of Trash attribute from my own trash by
Thunderbird",
  Anti Tb+Gmail feature wakes up:
    store Trash attribute to my own trash,
    and immediately clear Trash attribute of [Gmail]/Trash if [Gmail]/Trash
exists.
    this is start of endless war with "Dark Tb+Gmail" :-)
  Merit   of above : Applicable to all [Gmail]/Trash is shown case, hidden
case, unsubscribed case,
  Problem of above : If Tb is restarted, "your own trash" looses Trash
attribute until you click button again.

FolderFlags addon may behave like above, because following was reported in bug
1175446.
  When [Gmail]/Trash is hedden by Gmail,
  if "his own trash" is set as "folder which has Trash attribure, which has
trash can icon" by the addon,
  "trash can icon" of the "his own trash" is kept until restart of Thunderbird.
Can some one check with FolderFlags addon?

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Deleting a Gmail Message Always Sends Item to [Gmail]/Trash

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird:
  Confirmed
Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Thunderbird 7.0.1, Ubuntu 11.10

  Gmail accounts do not obey the setting in Account Settings -->
  [Account] --> Server Settings --> When I delete a message

  I changed this to move the message to Gmail's "All Mail" folder,
  attempting to imitate the Gmail web interface's "Archive" option.
  However, regardless of setting, the item always moved to Trash. This
  persisted after restart of the client. The settings save, but have no
  effect.

  Caveat: This was tested on two Google Apps for Domains accounts,
  though I suspect this behavior will happen with gmail.com accounts as
  well.