On 21-Dec-05, at 4:58 PM, Timothy D. Witham wrote:

    1) Good sync with handheld devices.
          Phone, Blackbeary (sp?) and Plam or pocket PC

Evo does that in many cases, I thought, but yeah, I can totally see that being a barrier. Seems like something that is mostly client-side.

    2) Group calendaring including meeting scheduling.
                i..e.  I want to check if Tom, Bill, Linus and Buddy the wonder
                       dog are available at 10:00 PM.
              This includes a laptop resyncing when it gets back to a
               connected state and the last know schedule being
              available on a server.

That's not email, but OK, I definitely believe that it's a barrier to adoption. Evo has that capability with Exchange now, though -- what are the cases in which that breaks down?

(I have a harder time believing that OpenOffice was is a more important "browser application or plug-in" to support than QuickTime, Windows Media, or _Java_and_ActiveX_. Is there a way to see what the results look like if we limit to the set of respondents whose jobs would indicate that they are specify/approve/purchase?)

3) Proxies for executives. i.e. Setup an admin to be able to respond to the executive's mail so that it appears to be coming from the executive so the lower folks don't know that the executive doesn't read most of
        their own mail.

I must not be understanding this requirement, because that sounds like the sort of thing that is done by setting up the admin's mail client to point at the same IMAP account as the executives. If that's really the #3 issue, though, it sounds like we're in good shape.

This seems to be the problem as folks keep doing new clients when the
issues is the server side stuff.

I don't understand -- Linux desktop deployment is gated by there not being open source servers on Linux for mail and calendaring? Why are those related? The Linux desktop could deploy against Exchange/ GroupWise/Notes/etc., no?

Thanks for the list, though -- what's the source of those pain points? From the comments in the survey?

Mike