Dan Kegel wrote:

Finally, and this is something not discussed at the meeting,
I'm walking through lists of successful small windows ISVs
(e.g. http://www.microisv.com/archives/category/microisv-profile),
testing their apps under Wine, reporting the wine bugs I find,
and working to get the bugs resolved. ...

Sorry if this sounds like yet another promotion but this is a perfect sample where the use of wxWidgets/wyoGuide would be most profitable for _all_ of us. These small Windows ISVs might not have the money or are willing to pay for QT, so wxWidgets is a cheap alternative. But if they use wxWidgets instead of MFC they can develop as if nothing has changed and produce Windows applications as before. It's not that difficult to switch from MFC to wxWidgets, they are quite similar, something which usually is considered a drawback from the Linux side. Anyway if these ISV use wxWidgets and also keep an eye on wyoGuide, which should not cost more that 1% of their overall work, they get a Linux port, a Mac port, etc for free.

Wine is one possible solution for these ISVs but it's a tedious work with mixed success. Most of them think, bring me first some Linux customers and I'll see what I can do. I'm quite sure if any of these little ISVs could be persuaded to switch to wxWidgets/wyoGuide, it would be 10 times more effective for the Linux community. This is in no way advertisement for wxWidgets or wyoGuide, it's the simple truth: For these Windows ISVs this is the best solution to get cross-platform development.

O. Wyss

--
Application guidelines: http://wyoguide.sf.net/