On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 10:12 -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:

> The ISV documentation portal idea seems useful.  I don't know if anyone's
> working on it.  (Well, I'm trying to scrape together some content at
> http://kegel.com/wine/isv, but that's not a general portal.)

The ISV documentation portal was one of the possible "low hanging fruit"
ideas that was discussed at the DAM.  A mailing list has been created
for this, but nobody is working on this yet.

Just some notes from the DAM session...

Target audience for the portal
==============================
- ISVs
- New developers to linux desktops
- Corporate developers
- Assemblers / integrators
- Architects

What would it be?
=================
- Aggregated content from sources best suited to provide the info

Where would the portal be hosted?
=================================
- Possible hosts mentioned were OSDL, freedesktop.org, launchpad.net,
  the Linux documentation project (ltdp.org), perkypants.org,
  lidn.sourceforge.net, or create a new project.  Other possiblities
  included university spots.
- While we did not close on a host location, OSDL was determined to
  be the best logical choice for the portal, but not necessarily the
  content.

Concerns
========
- Who would have editorial control of the portal?
- Maintenance?
- Content / who contributes?
- Value vs choices (can't remember the argument here)

We should probably move further discussions about the portal to the
developer_portal mailing list to prevent clutter on this list.

Cheers,

--
John Cherry
OSDL Initiative Manager