On 14 Jun 2006, at 19:16, Mike Hearn wrote:

> On 6/14/06, Calum Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Indeed... I've often thought that larger OSS projects might benefit
>> from a "feedback squad"
>
> That could prove difficult. One of the unfortunate tendencies within
> the open source community - of both users and developers - is to try
> and "educate" users as to why they're wrong about something.

Absolutely right.  For that reason, I'd guess a feedback squad would
ideally consist (initially) of some combination of usability folks
(who are trained to keep their mouths shut or ask subjective
questions when they really want to scream "but you're not supposed to
use it like that!"), and developers who are willing to learn from the
usability folks how to keep their mouths shut or ask subjective
questions :)  And maybe somebody from marketing, if the project has a
marketing team, as familiarity with user requirements ought to be
part of their job anyway.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Java Desktop System Team