Hi Clayton,

ccornell - OpenOffice.org wrote:
maybe a stupid question: but is there a means available in the OOo Wiki to get renderings of whole chapters (e.g. "writer") with all subchapters, such that one could create a hard-copy printout of it (to be read while at vacation, in a restroom, etc.) that matches the old PDF-developer guide?

We are working on it. I hope to have a test version available soon (no specific date though... just soon).

The concept is to make it possible for anyone to build a custom collection of Wiki pages into a book (either as a list of specific pages or a list based on Wiki categories), and to provide some pre-made collections (eg Dev Guide chapters, and/or the entire Dev Guide). The collections could then be exported as PDF or even ODT.

A few options we are experimenting with:
- I blogged about one here: http://blogs.sun.com/lebo/entry/who_isn_t_using_a - A second possibility is this MediaWiki Extension set by PediaPress: http://code.pediapress.com/wiki/wiki (this is the one I hope to have available for testing soon).

The first option is already available on the OOoWiki, but not yet working properly. You can find it here: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Special:Wiki2XML The DocBook segments do not yet work as I have not had a chance to install and configure DocBook on the Wiki server. The ODF part fails (but can be worked around) as described in the blog entry above.

So, definitely NOT a stupid question... a very good in in fact. :-) If you or anyone else has any other ideas on how to do this... speak up.
Thank you very much for your information and your efforts! Will be looking forward to testing your Wiki->DocBook possibility!

Regards,

---rony