The handset is independent of the carrier.
This is not the point, maybe have a lock at the link below and the information provided for US carriers

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox_OS/Developer_phone_guide/ZTE_OPEN

And non of my colleques was aware that you can't buy a ZTE Open in Canada... oh ebay.com... how much is the shipping cost? ... MicroSD card... what plan did you choose?

Hmm... all the cost involved does it still make sense to give it a shot...