I don't think it is that complicated: since I'm using the modified boot.img by
Eduardo and CWM I've had no problem building, flashing, backing up any b2g
version. It's the fine print..

I found this article about a related OS and got a better understanding about
the smartphone business which might help understand why things are the way they
are with zte open and b2g:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/

I was hoping for the better, time will tell.