How is that different from simply not having cookie jars at all? Note
that we'd still have separate cookies per domain.

This is what Firefox desktop does. Which has some clear advantages,
but also means that you can't uninstall apps (you can't uninstall a
website on desktop), see how much storage an app uses (you can't check
how much storage a website uses on desktop), or set privacy policies
for an app (you can't set privacy policies for a website on desktop).

/ Jonas