We solved this last night. If you have the environment variable GAIADIR
set, it is used in gecko build process to bundle a copy of the gaia profile
with it. This only works as expected with B2G desktop and (silently) breaks
other targets.

I can update our configure script to ignore GAIADIR for non-B2G desktop
builds but does anybody know what the proper switch is to check we are
building B2G desktop (or Mulet presumably)?

After some digging, I would have thought FXOS_SIMULATOR would be it, as
that is set under b2g/config/mozconfigs/*** targets and used in the source.
But it appears our instructions for building B2G desktop [1] and Mulet [2]
don't mention it. As it turns out, I've never used it myself and it has
worked just fine.

[1]
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Building_the_Firefox_OS_simulator#Create_a_mozconfig
[2] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mulet#How_do_I_build_it.3F