On Tuesday 2012-08-21 09:43 -0700, Asa Dotzler wrote:
> On 8/21/2012 6:34 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> >On 20/08/12 18:25, Asa Dotzler wrote:
> >>Can you say more about this? Are you saying it's Mozilla's
> >>responsibility to put Mozilla resources into solving problems for Opera?
> >>I'm not sure I understand this assertion.
> >
> >I think he's arguing that a belief in user choice could well translate
> >into doing things in a way which helps (or at least does not hinder)
> >other browsers.
> >
> >How do you think our belief in user choice should translate into our
> >attitude to other browsers using our work?
> >
> >Gerv
>
> I don't believe our belief in user choice should cause us to spend
> extra resources helping other browsers if those extra resources slow
> us down in our attempts to be effective competitors with those other
> browsers.

In the long term, I think sharing tests with other browsers can be a
speed-up, both for us and for the Web platform as a whole, since we:
 (a) have to spend less time changing our behavior when browsers are
     found to disagree with each other (something that's often more
     work when the problems are discovered later)
 (b) get to a more interoperable platform faster, which helps the
     Web compete against non-Web platforms

-David