On Tuesday, 21 August 2012 20:45:49 UTC+2, Asa Dotzler  wrote:

> David, I can certainly see the value there. That is, IMO, quite
> different from the position I was responding to, Aryeh Gregor suggestion
> that our mission compells us to "to put special effort into making
> things as easy as possible for smaller browsers."

I think this is a side track. At least, when Opera release tests it is nothing
to do with making life easy for other people; it's about improving
interoperability between implementations, which is good for the platform and
everyone who is invested in its success.

Obviously to achieve this we do want as many people as possible to run the
tests we write, and it does seem reasonable that you would want the same for
tests that you release.

I have already said that Opera will try to run as many tests as we can, and
that we try to release tests we write when it makes sense.

I believe you (Mozilla) can already run testharness.js tests (and reftests,
obviously) and might be able to reuse some machinery that you have for
importing CSSWG tests to import tests from other parts of the W3C.

WebKit are also starting to write W3C-compatible tests in at least some cases,
and are upgrading their test infrastructure to run these tests [1].

Microsoft also write testharness.js tests so I guess they must run them too
although obviously it is rather harder to tell what's going on there.

[1] http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20120821#l-675