From: "Karl Tomlinson" <mozn...@karlt.net>
To: dev-platform@lists.mozilla.org
Sent: Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:05:55 PM
Subject: Re: mach has landed

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:44:56 -0700, Gary Kwong wrote:

>> http://blog.johnford.org/new-mac-builders-ssds-j-settings/
>
> Quoted from that blog:
>
> "I did find that it is better to set the -j setting too high than
> it is to set it too low."
>
> -Gary

Better in terms of build time, which is the right metric for a
dedicated build machine.

But bear in mind that a developer is usually trying to use the
machine at the same time as doing a build.  Adding more context
switching load to the system without significantly improving build
times is not necessarily a win for the developer.