On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Matt Brubeck <mbrub...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> PROPOSAL:
>
> * We should add "Tablet" to the User-Agent header when the the Metro Firefox
> UI is used *and* the hardware supports touch input.
>
> * For non-touch hardware, we should make no changes to the User-Agent
> header.
>
> * For the classic (desktop) Firefox UI, we should make no changes to the
> User-Agent header.

+1

> PROS:
>
> * Users who browse in the mouse-friendly Windows desktop environment will
> see no changes in content.  In particular, users of touch-compatible
> desktops or notebooks who nonetheless prefer the traditional "desktop"
> environment will generally see familiar desktop-style web content.

This is an important point. I, for one, expect touch screen on laptops
and desktops to be disasters as far as ergonomics go.

> * Sites that follow our existing guidelines to send tablet-optimized content
> to Firefox for Android tablets will not need any changes, and will
> immediately begin serving tablet-optimized content to Firefox for Metro.

This is important. We shouldn’t pull the rug from under the people to
whom we’ve already evangelized “Tablet” and we shouldn’t waste bytes
by having both “Tablet” and “Touch”. Our UA sniffing-related
evangelism efforts will have zero credibility if we keep changing the
UA string all the time (to the extent the efforts say something other
than “don’t look at the UA string”).

> CONS:
>
> * "Tablet" is not widely used by other browser vendors.  "Touch" would be
> consistent with Internet Explorer.

This might actually be a pro rather than con as long as IE and Firefox
use a different set of events for touch. And “Tablet” is used by
Opera. By not saying “iPad”, we’ve implicitly already decided not to
chase “widely”.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@iki.fi