> Could the
> anti-auto-clobberers please explain where this analogy falls apart for your
> workflow?

As a simple example, I often will cd objdir and then do
dist/bin/firefox | tee out, to save stdout to a file.  I could do "tee
../out", but then my log file is not associated with the objdir, which
I might want.

If the objdir were a hidden directory managed entirely by the build
system, deleting it automatically would be one thing.  But it's not --
it's a directory that developers interact with all the time.