On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Joe Drew <j...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Something that has been bubbling around in the back of my mind for a while
> that I haven't been able to articulate is that it's not clear what steps
> bring us from the software Moz2D implementation to the
> hardware-accelerated, Layers-based (presumably?) implementation.

Using the GPU and doing filters in the compositor are two separate issues.

I think after we have the software filtering done, the next step would be
to implement a GL-based filter implementation library. This would initially
be used for Moz2D DrawTargets which are GL-based (i.e. SkiaGL, maybe
accelerated Quartz). We may wish to also use this with D2D if we want to
support custom GLSL filters for canvas (although I think at the work week
we decided not to? I don't remember why we decided that, and lukewarmly
disagree).

Then we would use this library from GL-based compositors. Or, we could do
what Andreas was suggesting and have GPU-based compositors use Moz2D more
directly. That's a decision to make then, when we have more information.

Rob
--
q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq