Regarding EPUB3, I don't think anyone said the whole format should be supported
natively in browsers. An EPUB file is basically just a set of HTML5 pages
(HTML, SVG, MathML and CSS) packed into an archive, together with additional
metadata to describe the ebook content (title, author, chapters, pages etc). So
browsers are already able to render ebook pages as long as they support HTML5
and you don't need to build a Javascript rendering engine. Of course, the most
obvious method to extend HTML5 with metadata is to use an XML format for the
whole ebook (XHTML5 mixed with the ebook metadata using namespaces) but again
you should not focus on the syntax ; another (non-XML) SGML format could have
been used instead...

The key idea is that mobile devices are using Web rendering engines and that
Web formats are well-adapted to render documents on the screen, so relying on
HTML5 is the most appropriate choice. Gecko is already able to render and edit
HTML5 and as a consequence some Gecko-based applications exist to render or
edit ebooks (see e.g. the EPUBReader Firefox add-on or BlueGriffon EPUB
Edition). On the other hand, most mobile devices are currently WebKit-based and
so the rendering quality of mathematical formulas is not very good at the
moment. That's why EPUB folks are complaining about the lack of MathML support
in browser rendering engines. All the communication around FirefoxOS has been
to say that it relies entirely on HTML5 and open standards, as opposed to
competitors. So the point is that if Gecko enters the market of mobile devices
its good MathML support could be a competitive advantage when presented to EPUB
companies that publish mathematical content (education, research
 , engineering etc) or to users likely to read such ebooks. Of course, this can
be generalized to other math applications, not only ebook readers.

It seems that Benoit thought that MathML was not used at all and could easily
be dropped or replaced. As others have tried to explain that's not true and
there are already many concrete projects that have been developed for 15 years,
several places where MathML plays a key role and many people keeping asking for
MathML support in browsers. Certainly LaTeX can be parsed into a tree for
WYSIWYG edition, we can convert ASCIIMath directly to HTML+CSS or accessibility
tools could perhaps even read a formula without building a tree at all. But we
don't care here since we are talking about the Web and about Gecko-based
applications so we want to have an SGML format, a DOM, compatibility with all
the HTML5 family and build tools on top of that. There are MathML-based
projects to address the needs mentioned in this thread and there are already
many pages with MathML content on the Web. So there is no reason to replace
MathML by something that will help for the simplest cases (already
 addressed by existing tools as I said above) but won't work in general and
will break all existing MathML contents and projects. The main remaining issue
is the lack of browser support so dropping MathML from Gecko would definitely
be the wrong choice and a very negative signal to the Web community, especially
since one of the argument given is that Gecko should follow what Blink does.
Mozilla should be prude to have had volunteers involved in MathML projects
during all these years and see that as a benefit. Fortunately, I see that the
majority of comments in this thread go in that direction.