Steve Fink wrote:

My anecdote: about 2 years ago, I did a lot of building on Windows and tried
very hard to use a VM (just one layer -- a Windows 7 Virtualbox VM inside
Fedora x64.) The configure times were excruciating. 6 minutes sounds about
right -- for the top-level configure only. If you add in the recursive
configures (js/src, libffi, I can't remember what else), it was at least 30
minutes just in configure.

Just for comparison, I tried this in a Windows 2003 Virtualbox VM using 2 of my AMD cores inside Fedora x64, using a magnetic disk. The configure time for the whole of mozilla-central came in at just under 6 minutes. (I used to use Windows XP but it was about half the speed because I could only use the IDE driver.)

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.