On 2/26/2014 4:36 PM, Bobby Holley wrote:
On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Wesley Hardman <whardma...@gmail.com>wrote:

It seems like it would be trivial to add a button in the Preferences UI to
let people precache all dynamically-loaded data.

I don't think that would be trivial. In particular, which spellchecking dictionaries would we download? All hundreds of them? Typically people are only ever going to use one or a few. The different kinds of data here may need different defaults.

I think this whole thing is valuable, but it's going to require some significant thought about how we manage this data and probably a whole new release mechanism for updating the data if necessary. If we did decide to automatically stream-download some or all of the data for desktop builds after the initial install, that might nullify the cost savings associated with reducing the initial download size.

--BDS