On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 6:27 AM, Benjamin Smedberg <benja...@smedbergs.us>wrote:

> On 2/26/2014 4:36 PM, Bobby Holley wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Wesley Hardman <whardma...@gmail.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>> It seems like it would be trivial to add a button in the Preferences UI to
>> let people precache all dynamically-loaded data.
>>

> I don't think that would be trivial. In particular, which spellchecking
> dictionaries would we download? All hundreds of them? Typically people are
> only ever going to use one or a few. The different kinds of data here may
> need different defaults.

Well, there are two kinds of data here. One is stuff (like CMaps and ICU)
that we're currently (or considering) shipping in the browser, for which
this would be a download-size optimization. The other is stuff (like
langpacks) that we wouldn't ship in the browser, for which this would be a
UX optimization to avoid sending the user to AMO et al.

We could very easily label the data sources per the above, at which point
users have the option to revert the the behavior they would have gotten if
we hadn't implemented this feature. An addon could probably provide
additional UI to let users pick what to precache.

bholley