This looks great, modulo one detail:

> I discussed the requirements of this API in person with vlad and bjacob.
>  Here are two key things to keep in mind:
>
> 1. The WebGL working group wants web pages to opt in to the WebGL2
> specific parts of the functionality explicitly.  The issue is that some of
> the functionality exposed by WebGL2 is not currently available on mobile
> GPUs, and we don't want to design the API in a way that enables people to
> write code oblivious to this which works in their desktop browsers and then
> have the code break when people view those pages on mobile devices which do
> not provide hardware support for this.
>
> 2. Because of the way that the underlying OpenGL API works, we need to
> have the information on what kind of OpenGL context options we want to pass
> to the underlying platform APIs at the point that we create the underlying
> OpenGL context.  That place is HTMLCanvasElement.getContext.  Because the
> existing semantics of getContext mandates the implementation to return null
> if it doesn't support the functionality requested by the web page.
>
> I think both of these requirements are reasonable.  We discussed something
> that might be a solution:
>
> 1. The context name remains "webgl".
>
> 2. We add a |version| member to the contextOptions dictionary, that
> specifies the minimum required version of WebGL that's requested.
> Implementations are free to return a context that implements a higher
> version, should that be appropriate in the future, but never lower.

The "Implementations are free to return a context that implements a higher
version" part violates the above requirement 1. in your email, "The WebGL
working group wants web pages to opt in to the WebGL2 specific parts of the
functionality explicitly."

For that reason, a necessary modification to this plan is to remove the
sentence, "Implementations are free to return a context that implements a
higher version [...]".

I agree with everything else.

Benoit