> It seems like you want to be able to do that going forward so you
> don't have to maintain a large matrix forever, but at some point say
> you drop the idea that people will want 1 and simply return N if they
> ask for 1.

Yes, that's what we agreed on in the last conversation mentioned by Ehsan
yesterday. In the near future (for the next decade), there will be
webgl-1-only devices around, so allowing getContext("webgl") to
automatically give webgl2 would create accidentaly compatibility problems.
But in the longer term, there will (probably) eventually be a time when
webgl-1-only devices won't exist anymore, and then, we could decide to
allow that.

> Are we forever going to mint new version strings or are we going to
> introduce a version parameter which is observed (until we decide to
> prune the matrix a bit), this time around?

Agreed: if we still think that a version parameter would have been
desirable if not for the issue noted above, then now would be a good time
to fix it.

If we're doing the latter,
> maybe we should call the context id "3d" this time around...

WebGL is low-level and generalistic enough that it is not specifically a
"3d" graphics API. I prefer to call it a low-level or generalistic graphics
API.

(*plug*) this might be useful reading:
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2013/04/the-concepts-of-webgl/

Benoit