We're considering building a JavaScript API for dynamic analysis of JS code.
Here's the sort of thing you could do with it:

  - Gather code coverage information (useful for testing/release mgmt?)

  - Trace all object mutation and method calls (useful for devtools?)

  - Record/replay of JS execution (useful for devtools?)

  - Implement taint analysis (useful for the security team or devtools?)

  - Detect when a mathematical operation returns NaN (useful for game
    developers?)

Note that the API would not directly offer all these features. Instead, it
would offer some powerful but mind-boggling way of instrumenting all JS
code. It would be up to you, the user, to configure the instrumentation, get
useful data out of it, and display or analyze it. There would be some overhead
when you turn this on; we don't know how much yet.

We would present a detailed example of how to use the proposed API, but we are
so early in the process that we're not even sure what it would look like.
There are several possibilities.

We need to know how to prioritize this work. We need to know what kind of API
we should build. So we're looking for early adopters. If that's you, please
speak up and tell us how you'd like to instrument JS code.

--
Nicolas B. Pierron
Jason Orendorff