On 8/22/14 10:17 AM, Hubert Figuière wrote:
On 21/08/14 01:29 PM, Wesley Johnston wrote:
devices when sites request autoplay.
[...]
Autoplay waste bandwidth, whether mobile or wifi. In some case it is
more serious than other.

I think it would make a lot of sense to have an explicit "low bandwidth mode" that did stuff like this, instead of trying to address it piecemeal. There's all kinds of stuff that can consume bandwidth, and if we think it's a real concern then let's directly address it.

Consider the increasingly popular gfycat.com. It offers GIF hosting with reduced bandwidth, by encoding as WebM. Example:

  http://www.gfycat.com/SpectacularPerfectCygnet.html (910K WEBM)
  http://giant.gfycat.com/SpectacularPerfectCygnet.gif (10.9MB GIF)

Autoplay makes complete sense in this context, just as every browser will "autoplay" a GIF. If the concern is actually bandwidth, then it would be better to avoid/abort loading video _and_ images above some arbitrary threshold. Why penalize a 910K video file but not an images 12x as large? Should be the other way around!

Justin