On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 3:03 AM, Justin Dolske <dol...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> I think it would make a lot of sense to have an explicit "low bandwidth
> mode" that did stuff like this, instead of trying to address it piecemeal.
> There's all kinds of stuff that can consume bandwidth, and if we think it's
> a real concern then let's directly address it.

I think that's a pretty cool idea - I'm on vacation for another week, can
you file a bug and cc: me? Or I'll do it when I come back.

There are a couple technical gotchas involved in that - basically to do it
effectively you need to open a connection with a small window (which is
fine).. if you want the connection to run faster you need to open the
window back up - and some msft OS's (actually maybe all of them) won't let
you open it past 64KB if you start with an intentionally small one and
that's not enough for full line rate on a lot of networks. But that should
be manageable for this use case.