Hi -

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 5:41 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@hsivonen.fi> wrote:

> Indeed. Huge thanks to everyone who is making Let's Encrypt happen.
>
> > regulatory compliance,
>
> What's this about?

nosslsearch.google.com is an example of the weight of regulatory compliance
in action. Google talks loudly about all https (and has the leading track
record), yet there it is. And google isn't special in that regard.

> > CA-risk,
>
> I.e. Let's Encrypt going away somehow?

More generally being dependent on a CA is an additional third party
operational risk when comparing http:// vs https://.. you're already
dependent on your DNS provider and an ISP and now your fate is also linked
to the CA that signed your cert too. e.g. at the most basic level not
revoking it on you - but also not doing something dumb unrelated to you
that gets the signing cert your CA used tossed out of UAs (again).

> > non-access to webpki.
>
> Does this mean intranets?

mostly.. but more generally things that don't bind well to the global dns
that the webpki relies on.. so potentially peer to peer and mesh
interactions too..