On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Gregory Szorc <g...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> The high-level cache requires separate things. Modern build systems have
> artifact caches built in. They can jump straight to the end result and skip
> intermediaries. We can't have nice things with the 30+ year old tool that
> is GNU Make. Well, we could, it just require us to invent a build mode that
> short-circuits compilation, linking, etc and manually fetches the final
> object from the cache. IMO we should build this for Firefox and Firefox OS
> developers. We kinda/sorta already have this in xulrunner and parts of
> Firefox OS builds. We know the approach works. We just need to make it
> turnkey and better integrated with release automation.

Are there any bugs on file with more details about the work needed to get
this kind of high level cache for Firefox and/or Firefox OS?

As you say, this would dramatically improve build times for front end
changes that don't involve C++ at all.

If this is too OT for the thread, please ping me on IRC. I'd like to help
drag this forward if I can.

- Ryan