On 11/26/14 10:23 AM, J. Ryan Stinnett wrote:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Gregory Szorc <g...@mozilla.com
<mailto:g...@mozilla.com>> wrote:

    The high-level cache requires separate things. Modern build systems
    have artifact caches built in. They can jump straight to the end
    result and skip intermediaries. We can't have nice things with the
    30+ year old tool that is GNU Make. Well, we could, it just require
    us to invent a build mode that short-circuits compilation, linking,
    etc and manually fetches the final object from the cache. IMO we
    should build this for Firefox and Firefox OS developers. We
    kinda/sorta already have this in xulrunner and parts of Firefox OS
    builds. We know the approach works. We just need to make it turnkey
    and better integrated with release automation.

Are there any bugs on file with more details about the work needed to
get this kind of high level cache for Firefox and/or Firefox OS?

As you say, this would dramatically improve build times for front end
changes that don't involve C++ at all.

If this is too OT for the thread, please ping me on IRC. I'd like to
help drag this forward if I can.

There may be a bug on file. I can't remember. But any forward progress on this front requires the deep involvement of a build module peer or someone who has intimate knowledge of the build system, its intersection with automation, and to some extent version control. I may have more fingers on one hand than people who have enough up-to-date context to formulate an optimal solution.

If we want progress on this front, those people need to meet next week and draw up battle plans. Furthermore, we need commitment from our respective managers that this should be a priority sometime in 2015. Even if we can't get a commitment to work on this, I think drafting up a plan to get there is worth spending time on.

I'm build module owner. I'll try to assemble something.