On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 1:59 PM, L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:

> > Is this arguably a violation of the priority of constituencies principle?
> > It seems like it may serve the site more than the user.
>
> Do you want to insist that it be removed from the charter, or is
> this something you think should be addressed during the development
> of the spec (perhaps via some requirement that should be added to
> the charter)?

In my experience, it's customary for controversial issues like this to be
discussed more in detail before entering them onto an official work plan.
I'm only casually following the working group mailing list, is there a
proposal (or proposals) that outlines a direction for this work?

As for the permissions work, I'm not enthused by its presence, and would
prefer if it were stricken.

I realize at this point that might be unrealistic.  Currently, there is no
requirement to engage with the groups that might be affected by this work.
That must be fixed by adding to the liaison section: a trivial change.

Ultimately though, I have serious reservations about the viability of the
effort - permissions grants are contextual, and the proposed API fails to
address that requirement - but I am happy to engage in discussion to that
effect.  I don't know what expectations are with respect to chartered
items, but if listing on a charter implies some inevitability: a commitment
to complete the listed work, I think that I would rather object to its
inclusion.